Analysis Paper Step 4: Outline
Outline
for Analysis Paper
Topic: Three balances in the story
Thesis: The balance between elephant and
keeper, citizen and government, reality and the mental world are broken after
the elephant vanishes.
Part 1: Balance between elephant and keeper
Sentence: “It wasn’t what they
did that was different. It’s the way they looked. Something about the balance
between them. In size of their bodies. The elephant’s and the keeper’s. The
balance seemed to have changed somewhat. I had the feeling that to some extent
the difference between them had shrunk ”
Analysis: The writer mentioned the broken
balance directly in the story. The size of them changed and they became more
similar. The relation ship between them also changed. In the past, they were
breeder and animal, now they are friends.
Part 2: Balance between citizen and government
Sentence: “While they did not say it in so
many words, they hinted at the possibility of some secret deal between the
mayor and the developer.”
Analysis: The mayor wants to keep the
elephant, but some people hold the opposite opinion. They think the mayor
accepts bribes so he insists in keeping the elephant.
Sentence: “Riddled as it was with such
perplexities and labored circumlocutions, the newspaper article as a whole left
but one possible conclusion: the elephant had not escaped. It had vanished.”
Analysis: According to the article that was
published by the government, they could not find any useful information about
why the elephant are vanished. The comment shows the displeasure motion of
citizens. They questioned the government’s ability.
Part 3: The balance between reality and the
mental world
Sentence: “The more pragmatic I try to
become, the more successfully I sell-our campaign has succeeded beyond our most
optimistic forecasts-and the more people I succeed in selling myself to.”
“When magazines gave us publicity, we
rewarded them by placing ads in their pages. They scratched our backs, we
scratched theirs.”
Analysis: The reality of the writer can
also reflect the normal life of citizens. In order to be success, they need to
become pragmatic. They cannot follow the way they like. He will join social
activities to get benefit from others. However, this may not be the thing he
really likes. It is only accepted by the highly developed capitalist society.
Sentence: “I had had my own private interest
in the elephant problem from the very outset, and I kept a scrapbook with every
clipping I could find on it.”
“Whenever I had a spare moment, I would
visit the house where the elephant no longer lived.”
Analysis: The narrator’s pure expectation
in sincere relationship between people without any interest driven.
Conclusion: The three balances in the story are
all broken and this may cause a lot of problems. Those broken relation ship
finally found a new balance. The vanishing elephant creates conflicts, but
gradually, the conflicts are all solved. The ending of the story is unusual. We
don’t the where are the elephant and its keeper, what are they doing after
escaping from the town. The story remains a large room for readers to imagine.
没有评论:
发表评论